It was originally sited opposite Bancroft’s School and in 1893 moved to premises on the site of the present Hawkey Hall. In 1919 the school was relocated to its current site in Bunces Lane, with a temporary relocation to Cumberland during the Second World War.
In 1922, Colonel W H Colley took over the School and in 1951 his son, Mr H H Colley, joined the staff. Mr Harold Colley took over as Headmaster in 1967 and in 1975 the School became a registered charity, St. Aubyn’s, Woodford Green, School Trust. Mr Harold Colley retired in 1993 and was succeeded by Headmaster, Mr Gordon James MA (Oxon) in whose time the School doubled in size and saw the introduction of girls. Mr James retired in 2013 to be succeeded by Mr Leonard Blom.
A more detailed account of the School’s history can be found below. This was written by former pupil and school archivist, Nicholas Dixon. The School Archive may be of interest to anyone wishing to know more of the School’s history and we are always grateful for any information, memorabilia etc., relating to our past.