As a result, many of our pupils travel to School by car. We try to encourage safe and considerate parking, walking and cycling to School.
Recent initiatives are detailed below.
• ‘Park and Stride’ is a scheme designed to reduce traffic around schools. The idea is that parents park at least five minutes from School and pupils walk the remaining distance. A Walking Zone Map can be downloaded by clicking the button below.
• There is an agreement with Salway Church (at the top of Forest Approach) allowing parents to park in the Church car park to the left of the main entrance, the side furthest from Forest Approach. Parents and carers may park here entering and exiting the car park from the High Road only from 8.15 to 9.00 am and 3.15 to 4.15 pm, but only in term time. There is no arrangement for parking at lunchtime.
• Parents can purchase a permit to use the Borough car parks at School drop off and pick up times (until 4:15 pm). The cost is just £35 for a year. The nearest car park is in Derby Road which is approximately a six minute walk from School. The Hawkey Hall car park to the North is approximately a twelve minute walk from School. The permit can be downloaded by clicking the button below.
• The Roses Estate has a residents’ parking scheme so St. Aubyn’s parents should not park in there when dropping off or collecting pupils.
• It is against the law to stop on the zigzag area outside the School gates in Bunces Lane. However it is possible to drop off Upper Prep pupils once past the zig zags. Details are here.
• Park and Stride – see ‘Parking’ section. It is recommended that parents/pupils do not walk down Bunces Lane and use safer routes with suitable pavements.
• Road Safety education – We teach Road Safety to all pupils as part of PSHE. This education is delivered in assemblies, lessons and sometimes by visiting experts, such as the Redbridge Transport Team.
• Since 2012 we have secured funding from TfL for cycling initiatives
• We have a cycle shelter and scooter pods to encourage pupils to ride bicycles or scoot to School.
• We have bicycles for pupils from Nursery to Year 5 to enable us to provide cycle skill teaching and co-curricular clubs.
• We organise Bikeability Cycle Training courses for pupils in Years 5 and 6 to learn to ride safely on the roads.
• We have organised for cycle trainers to teach younger pupils how to ride a bike.
• Each year we arrange for Dr Bike to give pupils’ bikes a free health check.
• We are approximately a 20 minute walk from both Woodford and South Woodford tube stations.
• Buses – Route 20 (Walthamstow – Debden), Route 679 (Ilford – Woodford).
• We now use public transport (bus and tube) for School trips, whenever practical. This reduces transport costs and will hopefully encourage pupils to use public transport in the future.
• Year 6 pupils are taught about how to travel safely on buses and the tube on the Junior Citizens PSHE trip organised by the Metropolitan Police each year.
• We are happy for Year 6 pupils to use public transport to get to and/or from School but ask that parents let us know the arrangements.